The Tales of a Charming Truck-Napper

This is where I'm posting outtakes, different POV's, outfits, ect. from my story, Tales of a Charming Truck-Napper

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Edward Sr. POV of chapter#12

DISCLAIMER: The plot belongs to me but all things Twilight belong to the lovely Stephenie Meyer

Edward Seniors point of view in chapter#12
___________________________________________________________________

"Hello?" A perky voice answered.

I pulled the phone from my ear, glancing at the screen. I'm not as young as I used to be but I'm positive I'd dialed my son's number.

"Hello, ma'am." I greeted awkwardly. "Either I have the wrong number or you have my son's phone."

Elizabeth was not going to be happy about this. Whoever this was felt comfortable enough with Edward to answer his phone. More importantly he felt comfortable enough to let her answer it and we hadn't heard about her yet.

"That depends." She chuckled. "Are you looking for Edward Cullen?"

I loosened my tie around my neck, sitting down in one of our plush recliners. I could tell this was going to be a long albeit interesting conversation. I should have called Edward about what to bring to my nephews wedding a lot sooner. Lord knows my wife wishes I had. All week long she'd been fretting about it. We'd met Jasper's fiance only twice- not enough to know her tastes and my wife wanted to get the perfect wedding gift.

"Yes." I answered. "I am."

"Well then, I guess it's nice to meet you, Mr. Cullen."

Why hadn't we met this young woman before? She seemed nice, polite as far as I could tell. Was she his girlfriend? Surely we would have met her if they were serious.

"Thank you." I said thoughtfully. Is this why he'd wanted to visit Forks so early before the wedding? I'd thought he just wanted a vacation. "May I ask who this is?"

"I'm Bella Swan." She introduced herself. That name sounded so familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. Maybe Jasper had told us about her.

"I'm Edward's friend from Forks." She explained. "He left his phone at the coffee shop the other day and I was keeping it safe for him."

Her voice shown with playfulness and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Oh really?" I grinned. "Am I assuming correctly that my son doesn't know you're 'keeping it safe?'"

She snickered and my grin grew. My son had definitely met his match in this young woman, whoever she was.

"He knows." she practically sang. "He found out about two seconds ago when you called."

I've been a doctor for thirty-two years. I helped raise Edward. I grew up with Carlisle. Not a lot surprised me these days but hit me with a wet fish if I didn't laugh harder than I had in months.

"Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Bella." I said truthfully, wiping tears from my eyes. "Anyone that can put up with my son's shenanigans is fine in my book. Anyone that can best him is better."

"So, did Edward tell you that he stole my truck?" she asked excitedly.

Everything clicked. Jasper may have said something here and there about Bella but that's not what had drilled that name into my head. My hour long phone conversation where in which my son babbled endlessly about the beautiful young woman who couldn't stand him had done that.

Elizabeth had been horrified when she'd found out Edward had almost been arrested over a prank. Jasper assured her Bella would never really call the police. And he had almost sounded sure of it. Elizabeth conference called them to lecture about the difference between pulling a prank when you're twelve and when you're a full fledged adult. I don't think they were even fully convinced about the adult thing.

I guess the feisty Bella Swan had changed her mind about hating him after all. Either that or my son's persistence had gotten to her.

"You're the one he's always talking about."

"Hi, Dad." Edward's voice abruptly greeted me.

I chuckled.

"Decided we'd chatted enough, huh son?" I teased. "You were right though; she's not going to take any of your monkey business. At least not without retribution."

"Yeah, she thinks she's pretty clever too."

"Quite entertaining friend you've acquired." I approved. "I hope we'll get to meet her at Jasper's wedding."

"She told you we were friends, did she?"

I grinned, amused. He wasn't even talking to me any more. Not really. It seems I had called during a battle of sorts.

"I don't know what to tell you, Dad." he continued. "I think she's in love with me."

I shook my head.

"Stop teasing the girl." I admonished. Although from what I'd witnessed she could more than take care of herself.

He laughed.

"Oh, we're making her blush."

"I hope you're treating this young woman with respect, Edward." I said, not truly worrying. His mother and I had raised him right. "She seems like a good match for you."

I paused.

"Are you serious about her?" I asked, truly curious. Edward never really told us about woman in his life, not even ones he was seeing. Well he told Elizabeth I suppose but he'd never spoken so animatedly of anyone before. So I'm assuming he was.

"I am." he said, all laughter gone from his voice.

I smiled. I knew that tone. I had used it when I met Elizabeth. My brother sounded the same when talking about Esme. And I caught it in Jasper's voice the few times I had asked about his fiance, Alice. If I didn't know any better I'd say my son was smitten.

"Your mother is going to be begging to be the first born's name sake if you use that tone with her." I chuckled.

It only seemed fair to let Bella see him blush now after all.

"Okay. Bey." he rushed.

Before I could say anything else the phone clicked and there was nothing but dial tone.

I laughed, shutting my own phone. It looks like I'd have to ask about Jasper's wedding later but that's okay. As soon as I told Elizabeth about this she'd have him back on the phone in no time.
__________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

siang7t said...

lol, i loved this phone call scene, bella was hilarious!! xD ha!